Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Not Much Ado About Sally Eilers

Don't have much to say about her other than she was the star of Bad Girl which won Frank Borzage a much undeserved Oscar for best director of 1931-32. She made 68 movies in a career that stretched from the late silent era to 1950, but other than Bad Girl and uncredited bit parts in Sunrise and The Crowd, I've never seen any of them, and neither have you, I'll bet.

Dan Callahan for Slant had this to say about her: "Eilers's good looks can't make up for her lack of acting ability."

Once you've said that, you've said it all.

But I collected a couple of photos of her off the internet while researching Borzage and I feel I would be remiss if I didn't share them with you.

That's it, that's all I've got. No five thousand words for you today.

By the way, be sure to vote in the latest Monkey Poll, "Which of these Katie nominees for best picture of 1931-32 have you seen?"

More of a survey really. Vote for all that apply. Remember, there are no wrong answers, only movies you haven't seen yet.